Friday, January 25, 2013

Five for Friday!


I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching and sharing my 5 random things from this week......



Boy! Was it COLD this week! We were off Monday for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, and then we actually had a two hour delay on Tuesday for severe cold. It was something like -15 or -20 Tuesday morning.

Can I just say that I HATE 2 hour delay days? Sure......I love sleeping in, but the craziness of the day is JUST NOT WORTH IT! Our schedule is just all messed up, and the kids just can't deal with it. I felt like I got nothing constructive done all day!

 
I got to pick out $250 worth of math materials! I am going to be participating in a Teachers Helping Teachers project that my state DOE is doing in partnership with 2 state universities. Basically, they will be taping me teaching a math lesson. I'll be interviewed on tape before and after the lesson. I did a small pilot of this last year. This time, one of the universities is allowing each participating teacher $250 math materials......that WE get to choose!

I agonized over my choices.....I was so afraid that after sending in my order, I'd see something and think, "Rats! I should have ordered THAT!!" I can't wait until it comes in, and I'll tell you all about it. For right now, I'll give you this little sneak peek:




We started FRACTIONS this week. There are so many fun things you can do with fractions....it's one of my favorite math concepts to teach. So far, I've just scratched the surface, but I've already overhead several of my kiddos say, "Fractions are fun!". Warms my heart, I tell you!






We wrote a song (which is sung to the tune of "I Feel Pretty") together about fractions on Wednesday. I noticed that my little kiddos actually already knew the tune. Surprised, I asked one of my boys how he knew it. I had to chuckle when I learned they knew it from the diaper commercial! haha
Snag a copy by clicking on the image of the song. (My first time sharing through Dropbox, too! Let me know how it goes!).





I reviewed Learning Resources' Easi-Speak USB Recorder and tried out Rafflecopter for the first time to host a giveaway for an Easi-Speak! We actually used our Easi Speak to record our Fractions Song today. So easy and so fun!
I'm not kidding.....this is such a powerful tool for the classroom! Make sure you get in on the giveaway!
Just click the picture below & enter on the rafflecopter (which turned out to be super simple, by the way!).