Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The High & Low of January





I am linking up with Katie at Teacher to the Core.......she is doing a High/Low Linky. What a great way to take a look back at the month and put it all in perspective.

First...let's start with the low.....


I guess my first month of this new year hasn't been so bad. I had a hard time thinking of a low for this month. The one thing that has really been weighing heavy on my mind was a decision I had to make. Is it just me, or do you also think the decisions we have to make in the interests of our children are THE hardest to make? I have a harder time when it comes to them than I do for decisions in my own interests!

SO-- I have an 18 year old son. Senior in high school. He wants to go to Florida for Spring Break. With his friends. He's driving. My car. Do you see where this is going?

It is SO hard to say.......yep, that's okay.....my baby can drive all the way to Florida from Indiana hauling his teenaged friends. On the highway. Where yahoos and idiots drive. It's probably a little harder for me to say that it's okay. You see, about 5 years ago, I was involved in a very serious car accident. I nearly died. On my way to Florida. I was hauling a car full of cheerleaders (my daughter among them) when we were hit by a drunk driver. On the way to Florida. Where my son wants me to give him permission to go. Boo.

Grrr. I have been agonizing over the decision for a few months, really. Trying to put it off, hoping that his friends' parents will fall through, they'll all bail, and the trip will be a no-go without me having to make a decision. That hasn't happened. Boo. I'll be honest. I'm afraid. I've been wrestling with this because I know what my dad would say: "He's 18 years old. He's old enough. You drove halfway across the country at the same age. You can't baby him forever. What happens happens." And I know that's all correct. Reasonable. But I'm afraid.

Tonight, I gave my son the go ahead. The plan isn't a trip to Florida anymore. Myrtle Beach is cheaper.....it's closer, and not as far to drive, they've decided. So I've said okay. Okay. Boo. I feel like crap. Please keep me (& him) in your thoughts & prayers.

Now the high.


I honestly have to say that the high from this month has been getting back to blogging. It is so nice to be doing something that I enjoy! I love the community. It's like a great big, friendly support group. Got a penchant for fonts? There are a ton of people who share that passion! lol Got a thing for office supplies or classroom design? Matching plastic totes and bins? There are tons of people here who joyfully share that passion, too!

I feel like blogging has made me a better teacher. It certainly makes me think about my instruction in a different way. AND I find lots and lots of ideas and materials that support me in the classroom. Wow!! The resources and strategies you can find in the blogging community are just never-ending!
Thanks to all of you for sharing my high!