Friday, February 1, 2013

AWARD! & Five for Friday


Surprise! I opened up my email after school today to learn that I've been chosen as one of the Top 25 Elementary School Teacher Blogs by Top Masters in Education!! Wow! Crazy! I am just beyond flattered. I can't even tell you how surprised I am!
I know I've said this many times, but being part of the teaching blog community has been such a blessing!

Weather - This has been a week of surprises! We had THE craziest weather here in Indiana this week....Tuesday and Wednesday it was in the mid 60's. We had horrible storms Tuesday night with winds of up to 70 mph! Then, cold on Thursday and even colder today. In fact we had a 2 hour delay due to the extreme cold! -10 today with the wind chill. Brrr! Crazy, crazy weather this week!

So...that was 1 and 2 of my Five for Friday. Here are 3, 4, & 5......

Dealing with schedule interruptions - We started working on Procedural Writing earlier this week. We're using "How to Make Hot Chocolate" from Susan Moran (Thank God It's First Grade)'s Winter Writing Through the Seasons. We got off to a great start.........Monday, I modeled (How to Make Oatmeal).........Tuesday, our writing time was pre-empted by our pupil services teacher's lesson.........Wednesday, we made and enjoyed hot chocolate and they filled out the planner.......Thursday, writing time was pre-empted for the pupil services teacher's lesson......Friday, we would have begun the rough drafts, but we had a 2 hour delay. Grrr. How do you deal with interruptions like this to your schedule? I worry that all the interruptions are creating a very disconnected experience in writing for them. I would appreciate any suggestions you can give!


Fractions rock! My kiddos are really enjoying learning about fractions, and that in and of itself rocks! We've been working through the lessons in our curriculum, and adding in lots of cool stuff, and they really seem to be getting it too. Right now, I'm working on a fraction bingo game for next week. I'll share that as soon as I get it finished. 
 
 The Walking Dead - Haha! Seriously! How does THIS fit here!?!? My husband and I have been seriously into The Walking Dead this week. We're catching up with the prior season and getting geared up for the mid-season premier on February 10th. Any other Walking Dead fans out there?

 I linked up with Doodle Bugs Teaching linky Five for Friday. Make sure you click over there to check out the other link ups.